Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rincon de la Viaja Volcano National Park

Yesterday, I had a full day of adventures at Rincon de la Viaja Volcano National Park with some friends from school.  We left at 6 am and made the 1.5 hour ride to the park, in another Turismo van (12 passenger van, complete with daily driver).

I didn't have my camera with me the entire time, but here are some photos and a list of our full-day of activities:

Rincon de la Viaja Volcano National Park.


45 minute horseback ride through part of the park.  We had 2 guides, one in front, leading the way, and another in the back, carrying a mini boom box playing Spanish music for the ride.  The ride-time was perfect though; just about the time my butt started to hurt from the saddle, we were done-zo.  Being from TX, you would think I might have had a little more experience on a horse, but alas, I think this may have only been my 2nd time on a horse......ever!

Leaving the stables.

Me (my shadow, at least) and my mohawked horse!


1.5 hours of white water tubing.  This was super fun, and unlike any tubing I have done in TX.  They loaded us up with life vest, helmets, and super sturdy tubes, then gave us safety instructions, and plopped us in the river.  There were some slightly scary rapids, drop offs, and lots of spinning around in the tubes, but also some nice calm areas too, where we could relax a bit before being slammed around again.  It was great!

Tubing down the rapids of the Colorado River.


1.5 hours of zip lining, which included a little bit of rock climbing and repelling.  I will be honest, after zip lining in Monteverde, I thought this course would be lame.  Boy, was I wrong.  This course was awesome- very different from Monteverde, and just as exciting.  We zip lined through big ravines created by the river, passed by water falls, got to zip line upside down, and got to swing like Tarzan across the river to some of the platforms too.  Anytime they offered a 'crazier' option / way of doing something, I took the opportunity- it makes for a much more memorable experience, and the guides love to mess with you too, when you're willing to try the wackier stuff.

Loaded up with zip lining gear.

Zipping through ravines.

View from one of the platforms.

Zipping past waterfalls, then launching from a slide to the next platform.

Upside down zip lining.

Upside down ride!


Buffet lunch at on-site resort, full of local dishes and treats! Our little group got to lunch a bit late, but it was perfect, bc we bumped into a couple Brahma bulls along the way (yup, Brahma bulls), and the guy walking them up the road let us hop on!  I am pretty sure they were there for photo ops anyway, but it was still a cool find.

Brahma bulls.

Quick hop on said bulls.


1 hour visit to the mud bath/hot springs.  This was cool.  We trekked a bit through the woods, and walked across a super rickety bridge, to a small area with hot springs, next to the river.  Once we  made it, we  were handed a hot bowl of mud and a paint brush.  After painting ourselves,  we let the mud dry in the sun, then rinsed off and hit the hot springs.  Volcanic mud is supposed to be good for your skin....who knows, but It was a nice relaxing way to end the day.

After that, we headed back to Tamarindo- most of us sleeping the entire way.  It was a great day, just enough time to enjoy each activity, and a swell way to pack in some more Costa Rican adventures.



3 comments:

Sara Bading said...

I love this..wish we would have stayed longer because this sounded like a lot of fun. When can I come back and visit with you without Ryan...then he can stay home and watch the kids and I can stay longer :) And once again LOVE that you are doing this...

Allison said...

What?!??!!! Upside down zip lining?! Crazy girl! I'm so glad you had so much fun!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Leslie! Sounds as if you're having a great time! Your mom directed me to your blog, so I'm keeping tabs on you. I went to a volcanic mud bath off the coast of Sicily, and smelled like sulfur for a few days afterward! Was your sulfuric?
Keep up the great postings!