Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dinners by the beach

In Tamarindo, most restaurants are located right on the beach.  You enter the restaurants from the street, and walk towards the beach for seating.  Where their seating ends, the beach begins.

Most evenings, there are different types of entertainment wandering along the beach, in front of the seating at the restaurants. The entertainers work for tips, and tourists are happy to keep them employed.  The tourists eats this stuff up (pun intended)!  I don't necessarily consider myself a tourist, since I am here for 2 months, but I totally eat this stuff up too.  I would be a big fat liar if I said otherwise.  Here are some of the 'acts' that I have crossed paths with in the last couple of weeks:

Fire show (old school boom box playing his show's soundtrack- very Matrix-esque).

A different fire show (this one also had live music that went along with the show - a lady drummer/singer).

Makeshift band: melodica, mini guitar, cheese grater, and a bass (a wooden box + a 2x4 + a telephone cord).

Darin Talbot with me and my friends.  He only entertains at one joint in town.  He performs 'interactive entertainment' 3 nights a week (Vegas-lounge-ish show, but with a beach flare).  His show: PuraVidaVille. (see below for Pura Vida reference). 

Mariachi


Service at restaurants is usually pretty slow...but for good reason.  1. Who visits Tamarindo to hurry though a meal?  2. Everything is made fresh.  If you order a salad, they are cutting up the head of lettuce just before it reaches your table.  No pre-made anything.  Plus, the Costa Rican lifestyle (Pura Vida: Pura life or full life) keeps things moving at an enjoyably relaxed pace.

My fave meal thus far is a typical Costa Rica lunch, although they serve it all the time.  I also eat it all the time! It's called 'casado' (which interestingly, also means 'married' in Spanish). Anywho, it's fish (or chicken or beef), served with rice, beans, a salad, veggies and plantains (the plantains are my most favorite part of the meal. I  always save them for the end.

Yummers!  Casado.  My fave!



1 comment:

Celie said...

Sunset at the beach with the sun sinking into the ocean...LOVE